Department of Computer Science
Dr Shahzad Sarfraz has been an active player in Computer Science and Geospatial Technologies. He leads the core thematic areas of ICT tools for Health, Agriculture, Disaster management, Location-based systems & its applications for Environment. His focus areas are the use of web based and open source tools related to Remote Sensing & Geographical Information System. Dr Shahzad has contributed in 30 journal and conference papers, along with developing tools for organizational needs and readiness assessment, and evaluation of eHealth initiatives. Dr Shahzad had vast exposure in planning, initiating, and supervising the Computer Science department and Evening Programs of the University of Gujrat as well as to catalyze and coordinate the research activities of the department.
Before joining as Associate Professor in Computer Science at FAST-National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, he served as Associate Professor, Chairperson Computer Science and Director Evening Programs at University of Gujrat and at COMSATS Institute of Information Technology as well as at NUCES as Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science. He was PhD scholar and teaching/research associate at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand and visiting researcher in Digital Image Processing lab at National Institute of Informatics (NII), Tokyo, Japan. He has extensive background and interest in using Geospatial technologies to strengthen and integrate health systems. He contributed in many seminars/workshops, organized at national and international levels, which supported collaborative research in ten countries. He is members of numerous international societies like Telecoms Sans Frontieres for emergency response in Asia-Pacific, ISPRS Health, Geological Society of America, International Medical Geological Association, eHealth Association of Pakistan and American Telemedicine Association. Dr. Shahzad is also resource person of World Health Organization (WHO) and Pak One Health Alliance, Pakistan for conducting capacity building workshops for analytical skills & use of information.
- Akram, A., Sarfraz, M. S. & Shoaib U. (2019). HLA Run Time Infrastructure: A Comparative Study. Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering & Technology. 38(4), 961-972.
- Aurangzeb K., Haider I., Khan M.A., Saba T.,….,Sarfraz, M.S., (2019). Human Behavior Analysis based on Multi-types Features Fusion and Von Nauman Entropy based Features Reduction. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics. 9(4), 662-669.
- Hassan, J., Sarfraz, M. S. (2019). Impact of suicide bombings in Pakistan using spatial and temporal analysis. In Seventh International Conference on Remote Sensing and Geoinformation of the Environment (RSCy2019) (Vol. 11174, p. 111740S). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Shakoor A., Ahmed A., Sarfraz, M.S. (2018). Security Technique in Mobile Clouds to Ensure Malware Prevention. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 11(31).
- Naz, N. A., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2018). A Review on Customer Churn Prediction Data Mining Modeling Techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 11(27).
- Naseem S.Z., Nazir S., Sarfraz, M.S., Shoaib U., Altaf A. (2018). Extended Tiny Encryption Algorithm Equipped with Arabic Script (AXTEA). Pakistan Journal of Science, 70(3).
- Rana, M. F., Shoaib, U., Sarfraz, M. S. (2018). Ergonomics Estimation and Dimensions of ATM Usage in Pakistan. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 11(24).
- Baig, S., & Sarfraz, M. S. Spatio-temporal Analysis to Predict Environmental Influence on Malaria. Proceedings of ISPRS TC III Mid-term Symposium “Developments, Technologies and Applications in Remote Sensing held in Beijing, China during May 7-10, 2018.
- Mahmood, A., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2018). A Recommendation System for Cloud Services Selection based on Intelligent Agents. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 11(10).
- Rana, I. A., Aslam, S., Sarfraz, M. S., & Shoaib, U. (2018). Analysis of Query Optimization Components in Distributed Database. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 8(1).
- Nazar, H., Sarfraz, M. S., & Shoaib, U. (2017). Web Accessibility Evaluation of Banking Website in Pakistan. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, 15(1), 642.
- Noureen, A., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2017). Secure Device Pairing Methods: An Overview. INTERNATIONAL Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 8(9), 442-451.
- Riaz, A., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2017). Workplace Design and Employee‘s Performance and Health in Software Industry of Pakistan. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 8(5), 542-548.
- Azeem, M. W., Sarfraz, M. S., & Shoaib, U. (2016). Comparison of Different Techniques for Detecting Malware in Smartphones. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, 14(5), 642.
- Rasheed, A., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2016). Performance evaluation of Keystone in cloud (OpenStack) for applications in Disaster Management & Recovery. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, 14(11), 202.
- Rahman, A., Sarfraz, M.S., Shoaib, U., Abbas, G., & Sattar, M. A. (2016). Cloud based E-Learning, Security Threats and Security Measures. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(48).
- Tabassum, H., Shoaib, U., & Sarfarz, M. S. (2016). Tools and Techniques for Predicting User Browsing Behavior by using Web Usage Mining. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, 14(11), 519.
- Rashid, A., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2016). Knowledge Discovery in Database using Intention Mining. Science International-Lahore, 28(6), 5145-515.
- Mir, S. S., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2016). Analysis of Digital Forensic Investigation Models. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, 14(11), 292.
- Khalid, F., Shoaib, U., Sarfraz, M. S., Shabbir, A., Shaheed, S. M., & Rubab, U. E. (2016). Desktop Virtualization: An Art to Manage and Maintain affordable PC infrastructure. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, 14(11), 187.
- Razzaq, S., Shoaib, U., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2016). Evaluation of Image Services in Open Source Clouds for Disaster Management. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, 14(11), 398.
- Arshad, M., Nawaz, R., Shahnawaz, M., Sarfraz, M. S., Ahmad S., & S. L. Ranamukhaarachchiet. (2015). First and second generation bioethanol production in sweet sorghum, mungbean and soybean in sole and intercropping systems. Trop. Agric, 41(3216), 010035-14.
- Arshad, M., Nawaz, R., Shahnawaz, M., Sarfraz, M. S., Ahmad, S., & Ranamukhaarachi, S. L. (2014). Effect of Legume type, Nitrogen Dose and Air Quality on Biomass and Bioethanol Production in Sweet Sorghum-Legume Intercropping. Poljoprivreda i Sumarstvo, 60(3), 257.
- Sarfraz, M. S., Tripathi, N. K., Faruque, F. S., Bajwa, U. I., Kitamoto, A., & Souris, M. (2014). Mapping urban and peri-urban breeding habitats of Aedes mosquitoes using a fuzzy analytical hierarchical process based on climatic and physical parameters. Geospatial health, 8(3), 685-697.
- Nawaz, R., Arshad, M., Sarfraz, M. S., Ashraf, M.W., Hayyat, M.U., Mahmood, R., and Parkpian, P. (2014). Interactions between Acidic (Al3+, Fe2+) and Basic (Ca2+, Mg2+) Cations in Oxisol and Ultisol under Acidification Induced by Simulated Acid Rain. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 269(15), 4794-4800.
- Sarfraz, M. S., Tripathi, N. K., Ali, S., & Sattar, K. Relationship of Dengue Larval Density and Dengue Cases Considering Environmental Conditions in Uttaradit, Thailand. At GSA Annual Meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia during October, 2014.
- Sarfraz, M. S., Tripathi, N. K., & Kitamoto, A. (2014). Near real-time characterisation of urban environments: a holistic approach for monitoring dengue fever risk areas. International Journal of Digital Earth, 7(11), 916-934.
- Sarfraz, M. S., Tripathi, N. K., Kitamoto, A., and Souris, M. Identification of Urban and Peri-urban Favorable Breeding Habitat for Aedes Mosquitoes. At 2nd symposium on advances in geospatial technologies for health at Arlington, VA, USA during 24-30 August, 2013.
- Asif, M., Sarfraz, M. S., Ahmed, M. S., & Tripathi, N. K. (2013). A Two Factor Based Anti-Phishing Method in Open ID. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research. 3(12), 26-33.
- Arshad, M., Cheema, T. A., Ahmad, S., Nawaz, R., Sarfraz, M. S., Shrestha, R. P., & Ranamukhaarachchi, S. L. (2013). Yield Comparison of Nonstructural Carbohydrates in Sweet Sorghum and Legume-Based Cropping Systems. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 44(14), 2186-2206.
- Sarfraz, M. S., Tripathi, N. K., Tipdecho, T., Thongbu, T., Kerdthong, P., & Souris, M. (2012). Analyzing the spatio-temporal relationship between dengue vector larval density and land-use using factor analysis and spatial ring mapping. BMC public health, 12(1), 853.
- Asif, M., Nitin, T., Ullah, K., & Sarfraz, M. S. (2012). A Web-based Disaster Management-Mitigation Framework Using Information and Communication Technologies and Open Source Software. JU Journal of Information Technology, 1, 15-18.
- Ahmad, S., Sadiq, M., Cheema, T.A., and Sarfraz, M. S. Geographical information system (GIS) based approach to monitor epidemiological disaster: 2011 dengue fever outbreak in Punjab, Pakistan. At 4th Int. Conference on Geo-Information Technology for Natural Disaster Management-"Reduce Exposure to Reduce Risk", Colombo, Sri Lanka during 7-8 November 2012.
- Shahzada, H., Tripathi, N.K., and Sarfraz, M. S. Geo-spatial site suitability for medicinal plants in Chiang Mai, Thailand. At the 1st International Conference on Health Science, Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine, Mahasarakham University, Thailand during November, 21-23, 2012.
- Sarfraz, M. S., Arshad, M., and Tripathi, N. K. Evaluation Of Ground Hyperspectral Remote Sensing For Precise Satellite Imagery Based Land Cover Classification And Forecasting Of Rice Grain Production. Proceedings of 34th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, held in Sydney Australia during April 10-15, 2011.
- Ahmad, S., Sarfraz, M. S., and Tripathi, N. K. Disaster Management System and Role of CDMA Wireless Technology for Faster and Secure Communication. Proceedings of the Geo-Information Technology for Natural Disaster Management & Rehabilitation held in Chiang Mai, Thailand during 19-20 October-2010.
- Sarfraz, M. S., Tripathi, N.K., Souris, M., Arshad, M., and Asif, M. Geospatial Characterization of Dengue Risk in Urban Environment. Proceedings of Map Asia & ISG 2010 held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 26-28, 2010.
- Ph.D(Computer Science), AIT, Thailand (2012)
- MS(Computer Science), AIT, Thailand (2009)
- M. Sc(Computer Science), University of Agriculture, Pakistan (2006)
- BCS(Computer Science), University of Punjab, Pakistan (2004)